Job Description – Organist/Choir Director
Hough’s Neck Congregational Church is seeking a part-time church organist/choir director to prepare music for its weekly Sunday morning worship services as well as other special programs throughout the year (see below). Duties and Responsibilities for the organist/choir director include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Prepare for and play organ or piano as appropriate for hymns, anthems and all other music for the Sunday morning service, and for seasonal worship services (currently Christmas Eve and Maundy Thursday as well as an Ecumenical Thanksgiving service held at the church every three years); typically all choir anthems are conducted from and accompanied at the piano;
2. Select choir anthems from the extensive library of music and select and purchase new anthems for the Sunday morning service from September through first Sunday in June consistent with the minister’s theme for the service. Collaborate with the pastor to plan the worship music;
3. Prepare, conduct and accompany weekly choir rehearsals on Wednesday evenings 7-8:30pm September – May as well as a ½ hour rehearsal prior to each service at which the choir sings (i.e. Sunday mornings and seasonal services);
4. Work with other ministries of the church, such as the Sunday School, to provide music to support their programs (currently the Sunday School Christmas pageant and Children’s Sunday, and any seasonal services held by the Deacons);
5. Option to prepare and present special choral programs, such as for Advent and Lent;
6. Serve as accompanist for all weddings, wedding rehearsals and funerals; this shall be for additional compensation as arranged for by the family requesting the service; if not available, the organist/choir director should facilitate finding a suitable substitute.
7. Prepare the music budget as requested annually by the Board of Finance and Investment and make plans consistent with funds available;
8. As needed, plan to attend Church Council meetings (held monthly) to report on the music ministry and to learn of future events where the ministry might be of service. In the event that a Worship Committee is formed, serve on that committee to integrate and coordinate the music ministry with other worship elements and themes.
Qualifications for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Ability to play piano and organ required; a degree in music, music education or a related field is desirable but not required;
2. The ability to communicate effectively with church leaders, choir members and the congregation and to promote and inspire a sense of praise and service with music;
3. Experience directing a volunteer choir is desirable.
4. Flexibility to change musical selections on short notice due to unexpected events.
1. Salary commensurate with experience; the Church withholds taxes as appropriate and issues a W-2 at year-end;
2. The position includes 2 weeks paid vacation annually and the organist/choir director is expected to find an appropriate substitute for any absence.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Gayle Mackay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Gayle Mackay, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com
or Pastor Felix Carrion at (617) 479-8778 or firstname.lastname@example.org